The Oakview Preparatory School boasts three vibrant school choirs. These are the
- Junior Choir (grades Pre-K to 3)
- Senior Choir (grades 4 -8)
- Combined Choir (Junior and Senior Choirs).
The Senior Choir meets weekly on Thursday mornings at 8:45 AM, while the Junior Choir meets weekly on Friday mornings at 10:00 AM. The Combined Choir meets for practice as needed.
In all choirs, the focus is on learning healthy vocal and performance habits, including :
- Rudiments of music such as beat, rhythm, melody and harmony
- Singing a variety of music such as period, seasonal, cultural and modern
- Developing a singing voice
- Introduction to the orchestra which includes lessons on the instrument families.
- Some introduction to composers and their music
- Learning about people today who are prominent in the world of music.
The number one class rule is to participate - giving the best attitude and effort.
There are three major yearly performances for all three choirs - yearly school graduations, Fall Festival in December and the school's annual Gospel Explosion in February/March. Additionally, the various choirs perform at other special events and at constituency churches.